The engine is the third engine they’ve developed in-house in order for players to enjoy “vast open-worlds” and “truly non-linear stories” based on player choice.
“If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world and one that builds a vast open-world but hampers and simplifies the story,” said CD Projekt boss Adam Badowski.
“With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story. Together with believable characters, a captivating tale and a world where players can roam freely without loading times, we will be able to move gaming to a new level with a realistic feel and full player immersion. When working on our previous titles, I didn’t dream that we would achieve something like this. Thanks to the support of all our fans, now we have the possibility to use REDengine 3 and create something many RPG fans dream of.”
Gematsu summed up the following regarding the engine:
- It can stream and handle fully explorable open-worlds.
- It can create immense universes filled with exciting, non-linear adventures.”
- It can make an RPG comparable to “top-shelf” shooters, both in terms of game world presentation and the proportion of events players are drawn into.
- It is a next-gen ready solution “that begins to blur the line between pre-rendered CGI movies and real time rendered graphics.”
- It has new face and body animation systems that offer “realistic expression of emotions, movie quality scenes and character interactions.”
- It uses high dynamic range rendering with 64-bit precision.
- It has a flexible renderer prepared for deferred or forward+ rendering pipelines.
- It has a high performance terrain system allows “multiple material layers to be efficiently blended and uses tessellation for the best possible detail.”
- It can “seamlessly” blend between animations and physics.
- It uses new version of REDkit editor with tools created specifically for RPG development.
- The new editor can create “complex, branching quests and set them in a free roaming environment with a simplicity not achieved by similar toolsets.”